>> Monday, September 17, 2012

The baby’s room is finally at a point that I can call it done (for now!). It still needs some more small touches but all of the big things are done. And now it’s a fun, simple room, perfect for baby Nash. But first, lets travel back in time a year and check out what it used to be.
SAM_0928I’m not sure exactly what this room was used for but it was an elderly lady that lived here so I’m guessing this room was used for some type of physiotherapy or stretching? Your guess is as good as mine. Either way, it wasn’t very inviting with linoleum floors and those giant metal bars.

SAM_0929But even though it looks quite different now, this is probably the room that got close to the least amount of changes. First, we tore up the linoleum and extra subfloor, which was a total beast! I actually have my grandparents to thank for that because they got most of that job done. We also, of course, ripped off all of the wallpaper, trim and the closet doors. Next it got a coat of paint and a new window! Those big bay windows were kinda cool in their own way but totally not the look we were going for.

After some new trim and flooring, here it is today:
SAM_1243 copyPoor Nash, the third child that he is. We really didn’t do much for his nursery other than set up all the furniture that was in Landon’s nursery. But I do love that we were able to give the room a whole different look without much effort or money spent.

SAM_1241 copyI knew I didn’t want to go all out with the crib bedding so I chose instead to order some fabric and make him a fun crib sheet. I really love the pop of color in the crib! I would like to have a crib skirt but I’ve done without one for this long, I don’t think I’ll make the effort now. IMG_1055 copyThe crib and mobile were both bought before Tyler was born. It is kinda fun to have things that we’ve used with all three boys. I made the dinosaur art and then had it printed at Costco and popped them into dollar store frames. IMG_1048 copy

The “Nash” sign was made by adapting an idea I found on Pinterest. It was kind of a fun project and Jeff actually helped me a lot by pounding most of the nails and even doing some of the string. I actually snapped this picture the morning before Nash was born. The boys were watching a show, Jeff was finishing up the sign and I was sitting in the chair having contractions. IMAG0143
I think it’s a fun, unexpected element to a little boy’s room!
IMG_1053 copy
The chair and night stand, I recovered/refinished before Landon was born but I recently whipped up that fun pillow to add a bit of color to that side of the room.
SAM_1242 copy
I’m really happy with where we are at with his room right now. It definitely needs some more finishing touches but I’m happy enough with it right now that I can move on to some other projects in our house that are in more desperate need of my attention!


A Bed Upgrade

>> Wednesday, September 12, 2012

You see, we had this bed. We bought it about a year after we were married and I think it was our first big furniture purchase. We felt all grown up buying this big, dark four poster bed. And it’s been well loved for the past 6 years. And it was still in pretty decent shape, despite several moves and years of wear and tear. But we were just itching for something different.
SAM_1070It all started with the idea of hacking off the posts. I think a four poster bed can be great, but we just don’t have a big enough room to pull it off. It really made the space feel closed in. The hubby was on board with that so we disassembled the bed to haul the posts out to our miter saw and give them a little trim. And while we had the bed taken apart, I decided that there was no time like the present to give it a little facelift. You see, in addition to those posts really closing off the space, the dark color was really heavy and I just wasn’t feeling the leather anymore. So we took all the pieces down to our basement where they sat for the last 5 months. I wish I was joking. In the meantime, our room looked like this. SAM_1116Nothing like sleeping on the floor to keep you feeling young! And then finally with summer winding down and me getting the bug to get the house in order, I finally got around to finishing it up these last few weeks. It was a fairly simple process, although it did take a bit of time (stretched out over quite a few days) to prime and paint all of the pieces. The old leather pieces were just screwed into place from the back so updating that part was fairly simple. I cut a piece of plywood to size and then upholstered it in batting and fabric and screwed it back in. I’m loving our new bed. It feels so fresh! I can hardly believe it is the same piece of furniture.

As you can see, there is still quite a bit of work to do in our room. And when I say quite a bit, I pretty much mean that I haven’t done anything else. Except the lamps. Next up on the agenda: pillows, things on the wall, a new dresser and some closet organization. And when I say next on the agenda, I pretty much mean hopefully sometime in the next year!


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP