A pretty good place to start

>> Tuesday, September 23, 2014


We’ve chosen this time around to not really decorate the nursery at all. I know I could have done something gender neutral and added other things once the baby was born but I have a plan for what I’d like the room to look like in both cases and they are pretty different. So right now, the room is basically just a blank slate. For reference, here is where we started with the room. That is what it has looked like for the past two years. So what did I do?

The first change was the paint color. I really wanted to lighten it up so I painted it my very favorite color, Benjamin Moore’s Lacey Pearl. It is a great warm light grey that I find really works with anything. It’s a great backdrop for the pops of color I plan on adding.

IMG_7021
The next thing I did was to buy a new chair. I had used the yellow rocker for the past two children and while it worked ok, it was too low to the ground, making it kind of uncomfortable for me to get in and out of. I bought this glider second-hand for $25. It had already been painted and recovered which I thought would save me a lot of work. But once I got it into the room, I realized that the ‘white’ paint was much more creamy than I originally thought. So I gave it a quick little coat of paint. I didn’t spend too much time making it perfect either. And once I got that painted, I realized that I would rather just recover the cushions in a neutral right now, rather than waiting until after the baby is born and adding one more thing to my list. The previous recover job was ok, but it just didn’t match either design plan I have in my head. So there is my ‘If You Give a Moose a Muffin’ story.

IMG_7015
We removed the old closet doors when we renovated three years ago and have been meaning to replace them ever since but just haven’t got around to budgeting for that. It’s way down the priority list! So I found some fabric on clearance for $4.50/m and sewed some basic curtain panels to hide all the clutter. They were a pretty easy project. I just hemmed all four sides and used this method to make hidden tab curtains. I figure I can reuse them somewhere else once we finally get some doors.

IMG_7032
Lastly, I rearranged the furniture. I don’t know that it is necessarily more functional this way but I was itching for a change and I think it works well.

IMG_7018
Now that we are (hopefully less than) two weeks away, I’ve even got some blankets  and clothes in the dresser and stocked up the basket on top with tiny newborn diapers. Aren’t they just the cutest thing you have ever seen?

IMG_7034

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn. What do you have to say?

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP