Living room gallery wall

>> Monday, November 19, 2012

It took me a really long time to get stuff on the walls of our house. It was partly due to the fact that we were more worried about things like flooring and kitchen cabinets and windows and doors and bathrooms and trim. And then once we finished that stuff, I was just way too big and pregnant and tired to even care. But things are finally starting to happen. The one big thing that I’ve had in mind the whole time for this house is a gallery wall. And not just any gallery wall, a massive one! I have always hated the fact that I take tons of pictures but they just end up stuck on the computer. I also really wanted to showcase not just the most recent pictures, but my favorites from over the years. And so from all of that, you get this!

I wanted to use color pictures so I chose white frames to let the photographs shine. Most of the frames are thrifted and spray-painted white. The pictures are an assortment of the last seven and a half year. It was actually pretty difficult choosing pictures. I could have included a hundred more! Overall I’m fairly happy with how it turned out. There are still a few more things I would like to tweak though. But that’s one thing I love about this wall – it can constantly change and evolve with us.

One thing I’d like to try is to eliminate all of the mats in the frames. I almost think there is a little too much white going on so I may try some enlarged pictures and see how I like it. I’m also not sure of a couple of my frames up there. The one on the top right is always crooked and some of them are not in too great shape or a very different white color. I’ll keep you updated as I move things around.


DIY Growth Chart

>> Saturday, November 10, 2012

This is one of those projects that seemed to carry on and on forever. Actually it didn’t just seem like it, it was more than two years from the time I bought the materials until it was actually hanging on our wall. IMG_1360
I love the idea of recording our kids’ heights but I had a few criteria when designing mine:
- I wanted to be able to move it around if needed
-I wanted to be able to record each child’s height separately
- I wanted some form with all that function
I started out with three pieces of pine tongue-in-groove paneling from Home Depot. This style had two small panels on one side and one large one on the back. After acclimating in our garage for a few months (totally not a needed step, just my way of saying I procrastinated a whole lot!), I first cut them to length (about 5') and then I glued them together with wood glue. I flipped the middle piece around so that instead of two skinny panels, it had one wide one. I cut off the tongue piece on the right with my circular saw but I left the groove on the left, in case we have more than four children and I want to add another piece of paneling.IMG_6985
Then it was primed and painted white – just some leftover semi-gloss that I had on hand. Now, I know this next part could be done a lot more easily with vinyl but I am not a patient person and I just wanted to get this done so I used a bit of a different technique. I overlapped two pieces of painters tape on a scrap piece of 2x4. Then I printed off the words in the font and size I wanted and taped it over the tape. Then it was just a matter of tracing around the letters with my exacto knife, making sure I was getting all the way through the paper and the tape. After that it was just a matter of peeling off the tape and sticking it to my already painted board. It is definitely not perfect but it worked good enough for me!
Once I filled in all of my stencils with a light grey paint (I just mixed a little bit of black acrylic craft paint into the white semi-gloss), I did the same thing with the numbers and filled them in with a darker grey paint.

Then it was just a matter of adding the measurement lines and I was done!

But by this time, we were about ready to list our house so I didn’t hang it up at the time. Then we moved and renovated and everything else that last year entailed. When we pulled it our at our new house, the paint had been scratched up and it wasn’t looking too hot so it still didn’t get hung up. So then finally this weekend I found a spot for it and figured out how to hang it up. Then it just took a little bit of touch up paint and it looks awesome! You might notice that I still have to add another name to the top but I’m giving myself a little time since that boy is still a few months away from being able to stand on his own!


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP